Re: Python package situation

On 2021-02-17 02:13, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> Are you asking about testing or stable? Because for stable the "packages
> are either outdated or do not exist" situation is somewhat expected and
> testing is not that interesting case, though even in testing we may have a
> lot of outdated packages.

At work, we are using stable with backports. Once in a while we
make a local package or local backport, too, and put it in our
local (reprepro driven) repo. Very often, we can just accept the
version in Debian, even if it is not the latest one.

> Surely you use only a subset of modules while other people may need a
> different subset, and ability to make and upload new or updated packages,
> unavailable for most Debian Python users, is definitely helpful.

Yes, having upload rights to Debian, incl. backports, is very
helpful and I was not implying that it were the same situation
for those without that priviledge :-)

But at least people on this ML either have that possibility or
know how to file RFPs/ITPs or just ask the right people.

But that option is less attractive, if the work is far too much,
i.e. either too many packages involved or very tricky packages -
for technical or other reasons.

That's why I'm curious: Maybe the missing packages are the same
for multiple people and we can solve the problem?