upstream python concerns, python3-full package for bullseye

[BCC steering-council@python.org]

Some issues were raised to me privately by individual upstream Python
maintainers about the user experience of Python in Debian, focused on
confusion caused by the split of CPython into a number of smaller
packages.

I have spoken with the Python Steering Council and met with Matthias and
Stefano to discuss what issues we can feasibly fix in Debian in time for
the bullseye release.

Agreed amongst the three of us:

- An issue was raised about distutils, considered core functionality of
  the language, being split off the core Python package. We can't change
  the distutils package split in time for bullseye, as we are in freeze
  and this change would be disruptive.
- It was requested that we differentiate between "system" Python and
  what upstream considers core Python. A package rename (e.g. python3 ->
  python3-system) will confuse everyone and take multiple releases to
  implement, and cannot be targeted until bookworm at the earliest.
- When users install Python, it should be easy to install all required
  modules for what upstream considers core, including venv, distutils,
  and lib2to3. I propose that we add a python3-full* metapackage for
  bullseye. (*We can use a different name, but it must be a name not
  currently in use.)

Actions:

- Stefano: Update python-policy to describe "python3-full".
- Matthias: Prepare new "python3.9-full" and "python3-full" packages for
  Debian and make sure these can be shipped in bullseye.
- Matthias: Proposing to backport "python3-full" packages to buster and
  Ubuntu LTSes.
- Elana: Request a "distros roundtable" at the upcoming PyCon to
  facilitate longer-term discussions with distributions who package and
  build Python.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me or
discuss on this thread. (I'm not normally subscribed to debian-python@
so please CC me.)

- e