Re: upstream python concerns, python3-full package for bullseye

On 12.02.21 01:11, Thomas Goirand wrote:
I understand that upstream python guys probably think the way to consume
python stuff is through venv, pip, and setuptools. I have a very
different view on this, and probably I'm not alone.

We (Debian people) indeed prefer if our user can enjoy a packaged
versions of things if they are available (and that's not specific to
Python). In such a packaged environment, venv and distutils are useless,
as the distribution is taking care of all what these tools would do
without apt or dpkg. I do prefer my system to *not* have venv support,
for example.

Being a Debian Developer myself, I have to disagree here. I *wish* I could just install everything via the Debian Packaging System, but the reality for most relevant Python packages is very different: packages are either outdated or do not exist in Debian -- heck, even PIP is outdated in a way that you actually have to `pip install -U pip` in order to use it properly due to the recent manylinux change.

So at work, were we use Python, we basically use only Debian's minimal image and install a naked Python + pip. Then we upgrade pip to make it usable and then install every python package via pip.

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Dr. Bastian Venthur                                 https://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org