Re: Python package situation

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 09:48:05PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> > I *wish* I could
> > just install everything via the Debian Packaging System, but the reality for
> > most relevant Python packages is very different: packages are either
> > outdated or do not exist in Debian
>
> Are you talking about many packages? Or only some, that are
> difficult to package? Can you give an example?
Are you asking about testing or stable? Because for stable the "packages
are either outdated or do not exist" situation is somewhat expected and
testing is not that interesting case, though even in testing we may have a
lot of outdated packages.

> At my job, we were always able to stay with Debian packages, or
> I just packaged the missing pieces, but maybe our use case is
> not that advanced.
Surely you use only a subset of modules while other people may need a
different subset, and ability to make and upload new or updated packages,
unavailable for most Debian Python users, is definitely helpful.

--
WBR, wRAR