Re: Using pristine-tar (was: Keeping upstream commits separate from Debian packaging commits)

Le Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 06:14:19PM -0400, Barry Warsaw a écrit :
> On Oct 12, 2014, at 01:27 PM, Tristan Seligmann wrote:
>
> >That's interesting, I didn't know about that. I'm not really sure I
> >understand how dgit replaces pristine-tar, unless you assume that
> >every tarball you want to store is in the archive. (Perhaps that's a
> >reasonable assumption?) And since we are not planning to use dgit in
> >DPMT (as I understand it), I'm not sure what the obvious way for us to
> >replace pristine-tar is.
>
> In practice, I haven't seen any problems with pristine-tar.  And given that
> archive uploads still currently require a tarball, and PyPI releases are
> overwhelmingly tarball-based, I think it still makes sense for DPMT to
> continue to use pristine-tar workflows by default.

Hi Barry,

in the Debian Med team, we had concrete evidence last May that the pristine-tar
data bitrots with time in the way explained by Joey on debian-devel.

Sorry to not have a high-quality summary to propose, but you can have a look at
the following thread and do not hesitate to ask for more information on our
list if you would like.

    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2014-May/026728.html
    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2014-June/027063.html

Have a nice day,