Re: DebConf14 svn->git migration BOF notes

Hi!

> svn history, do we keep it?  with git-svn, or with the kde
> git-svn-import, each tag becomes a branch which is a pain.

BTW svn-all-fast-export is the package that contains the kde git-svn-import
tool -- it does rather have a naming crisis.

svn-all-fast-export accepts a mapping that takes an svn tag and turns it
into a git tag. It also takes svn branches and map them into git branches.
Further details are at:

https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit/Svn-
buildpackageConversion#Importing_using_svn-all-fast-export

and if you `debcheckout translate-toolkit` you will find a git repo that
looks like a git repo for git-buildpackage should, even if some of the older
commit messages are prefixed by '[svn-upgrade]'. The mapping rules on that
wiki page are the ones I used for translate-toolkit and most packages would
have the same rules with only s/mypackage/otherpackage/.

> - Workflow:
>   * pristine-tar

While I currently use pristine-tar on all my packages and I think it's a
reasonably important part of our infrastructure at this stage, I'd urge a
little caution here given that it is orphaned both in Debian and upstream.

	 http://bugs.debian.org/737871

[...]

> I've done some personal investigation since the BOF, and am preparing
> some really simple migration scripts, so we can get a feel for what it
> will look like. My scripts so far (very very simple)
> git://git.debian.org/users/stefanor/dpmt-migration.git

is there any reason to use a loop around git-import-dsc rather than git-
import-dscs --debsnap here?

thanks for reporting back from the BoF for us!

cheers
Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott    http://www.nanonanonano.net/   stuart@nanonanonano.net