Re: Proposed git migration plan

Hi Barry,

>>I eventually gave up and used git-import-dscs -- debsnap.
>>
>>That said -- all the above experience was with full-source svn repos. I
>>would anticipate that the debian/-only repos would be easier to migrate as
>>they are much simpler, but then the new git repo would also be
>>debian/-only.
>
> I just tried this one of of my simple packages (cov-core, a fairly new
> package
> with only two upstream releases in Debian).  In svn it's a debian/-only
> package but after the g-i-d the git repo ended up full source (yay!).
> Then I
> did a `git-import-orig --uscan` and it seemed to work just fine.

sure -- git-import-dscs will make full source repos for you, but it is not
converting svn repos to git repos which is what I was really talking about
there... it's throwing away the svn repo and making a new git repo with some
sparse, condensed history in it. If the real history needs to be preserved,
then a helper like svn-all-fast-export, git-svn or similar is needed and
that won't on its own make full source repos.

> I wish
> g-i-o would automatically run {git-,}dch with a d/changelog entry of "New
> upstream release."

Yes, and that should be fairly easy to implement too. (Interestingly, I
always passed --svn-noautodch to svn-bp as I found that particular feature
exceedingly annoying but that is of course at build time not at upgrade
time)

cheers
Stuart

--