Re: DebConf14 svn->git migration BOF notes

* Stuart Prescott <stuart@debian.org> [2014-08-27 13:29:39 +1000]:

> Hi!
>
> > svn history, do we keep it?  with git-svn, or with the kde
> > git-svn-import, each tag becomes a branch which is a pain.
>
> BTW svn-all-fast-export is the package that contains the kde git-svn-import
> tool -- it does rather have a naming crisis.
>
> svn-all-fast-export accepts a mapping that takes an svn tag and turns it
> into a git tag. It also takes svn branches and map them into git branches.
> Further details are at:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit/Svn-
> buildpackageConversion#Importing_using_svn-all-fast-export
>
> and if you `debcheckout translate-toolkit` you will find a git repo that
> looks like a git repo for git-buildpackage should, even if some of the older
> commit messages are prefixed by '[svn-upgrade]'. The mapping rules on that
> wiki page are the ones I used for translate-toolkit and most packages would
> have the same rules with only s/mypackage/otherpackage/.

Hey gang,

I did a migration using svn-all-fast-export a (long) while back. The results
are on http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/olasd/dpmt/.

I've been very annoyed with the svn tag -> git branch mapping, and I haven't
had time to script fixing those up. I also have no idea how to graft the
upstream history there if we want sourceful repos (but I guess we can just not
care about it).

The stuff I used is in alioth:/home/users/olasd/dpmt_migration and should be
world-readable. If you're so inclined, I could probably walk you through it,
but considering that that was done 9 months ago, it is probably better to start
from scratch anyway.

Nicolas Dandrimont

BOFH excuse #122:
because Bill Gates is a Jehovah's witness and so nothing can work on St. Swithin's day.