Re: Proposed git migration plan

On 2014-08-26 20:04, Stuart Prescott wrote:
>>> I eventually gave up and used git-import-dscs -- debsnap.
>>>
>>> That said -- all the above experience was with full-source svn repos. I
>>> would anticipate that the debian/-only repos would be easier to migrate as
>>> they are much simpler, but then the new git repo would also be
>>> debian/-only.
>>
>> I just tried this one of of my simple packages (cov-core, a fairly new
>> package
>> with only two upstream releases in Debian).  In svn it's a debian/-only
>> package but after the g-i-d the git repo ended up full source (yay!).
>> Then I
>> did a `git-import-orig --uscan` and it seemed to work just fine.
>
> sure -- git-import-dscs will make full source repos for you, but it is not
> converting svn repos to git repos which is what I was really talking about
> there... it's throwing away the svn repo and making a new git repo with some
> sparse, condensed history in it. If the real history needs to be preserved,
> then a helper like svn-all-fast-export, git-svn or similar is needed and
> that won't on its own make full source repos.

If the goal is source-ful branches (which I'm hoping), there's a
tradeoff to consider here:

(a) either have that sparse, condensed history, but that would also be a
history from which past packages can be recreated, as for each tag,
there would be the debian source and the upstream source, or

(b) have the full history as produced eg by git-svn, but without the
connection to the upstream source. After all, the svn repos were kept
sourceless.