Re: favouring Python3 in the Debian policy

On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 10:15:37PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Am 07.05.2014 17:27, schrieb Barry Warsaw:
> >> +	<p><enumlist>
> >> +	  <item>
> >> +	    <p>
> >> +	      Applications should use Python3, and should not be
> >> +	      packaged for Python2 as well.
> >> +	    </p>

> > Maybe also that system scripts written in Python should be Python 3 and not
> > Python 2.  I'd add the clarity just because I'm not sure folks think of such
> > system scripts as "applications".

> proposing a separate item.

>               Command line scripts, packaging tools, tools used by
>               Debian outside the archive, etc. should use Python3, and
>               should not be packaged for Python2.

I don't think scripts "outside the archive" are in scope for the python
policy; and I don't think this is what Barry was referring to.  I think he
meant python commandline programs, which some people may not think of as
being "applications"?

FWIW, while I think getting the python policy to recommend Python3 is a good
step forward, I think it's more important that we make sure the base system
is leading by example.  As described on debian-devel[1], there seem to be
some porting blockers before we can migrate from python to python3 in the
standard install.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/04/msg00784.html