Re: favouring Python3 in the Debian policy

Am 07.05.2014 23:01, schrieb Steve Langasek:

>>> Maybe also that system scripts written in Python should be Python 3 and
>>> not Python 2.  I'd add the clarity just because I'm not sure folks
>>> think of such system scripts as "applications".
>
>> proposing a separate item.

>> the archive, etc. should use Python3, and should not be packaged for
>> Python2. </p>
>
> I don't think scripts "outside the archive" are in scope for the python
> policy;

thas was "tools outside the archive".  Debian has some infrastructure written
in Python.  I don't know if all of this is packaged and available in the archive.

> and I don't think this is what Barry was referring to.  I think he meant
> python commandline programs, which some people may not think of as being
> "applications"?

sure, is "commandline programs" clearer than "Command line scripts"?

> FWIW, while I think getting the python policy to recommend Python3 is a
> good step forward, I think it's more important that we make sure the base
> system is leading by example.  As described on debian-devel[1], there seem
> to be some porting blockers before we can migrate from python to python3 in
> the standard install.

This is independent. Getting these issues fixed is a dead-end for any other
migration of packages to Python3 (well, maybe except for OpenStack).  There is
no reason for package maintainers to convert to Python3 for other packages.

  Matthias