Re: favouring Python3 in the Debian policy

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

>> > Maybe also that system scripts written in Python should be Python 3 and not
>> > Python 2.  I'd add the clarity just because I'm not sure folks think of such
>> > system scripts as "applications".
>
>> proposing a separate item.

>>               Command line scripts, packaging tools, tools used by
>>               Debian outside the archive, etc. should use Python3, and
>>               should not be packaged for Python2.
>
> I don't think scripts "outside the archive" are in scope for the python
> policy; and I don't think this is what Barry was referring to.  I think he
> meant python commandline programs, which some people may not think of as
> being "applications"?
>
> FWIW, while I think getting the python policy to recommend Python3 is a good
> step forward, I think it's more important that we make sure the base system
> is leading by example.  As described on debian-devel[1], there seem to be
> some porting blockers before we can migrate from python to python3 in the
> standard install.
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/04/msg00784.html

Ugh, suds strikes again.

If I had more time to blow, I'd likely try a run at something SUDS API
compatible in Python 3. Won't happen any time soon for me, but it's
something I will eternally praise someone over.

So many people have tried to forward-port the SUDS codebase,
apparently it's *bad*.

--
All programmers are playwrights, and all computers are lousy actors.

#define sizeof(x) rand()
:wq