Re: Help with packaging of python executable and its modules

Hi Piotr,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:53:50PM +0100, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

> good that you ask, I will use this opportunity to dispel a myth:
> dh_python* tools (or any other dh_* tool which doesn't have "install" in
> its name AFAIK) do not install files.
>
> dh_python* is not supposed to install files
>
> dh_python* handles already installed files
>
> dh_python* tries to move files already installed (f.e. into site-packages
> or /usr/local/) to the right location
>
> ... there's one tiny feature¹ in dh_python* for installing files
> (*.pyinstall files) but since there's no site-packages vs. dist-packages
> problem anymore, it shouldn't be needed at all.
>
> Once again, just to make it clear:
>
> dh_python* != dh_install != pybuild
> dh_python* doesn't invoke `setup.py install` or `make install` or anything
> like that. If you want that, use pybuild (which doesn't replace
> dh_python*, BTW)

thanks for dispelling the myth. :-)

> > May I suggest to update the wiki to reflect such cases, i.e. difference
> > between application-specific modules or generic library modules.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Python/AppStyleGuide needs some updates indeed
> I'll try to squash it into few lines (with
> PYBUILD_INSTALL_ARGS=--install-lib=/usr/share/foo --install-scripts=/usr/share/foo)

Coming back to real Python modules:  What is the correct way to install the
modules in

   git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/pysam.git

I'm quite astonished since the packaging worked with git-buildpackage on
a computer I currently does not have access to but not where I'm sitting
now.  The modules package simply remains empty and I have no idea why.

Any help (even with pointers to relevant docs is welcome.

Kind regards

        Andreas.
--
http://fam-tille.de