Re: Second round of advise on packaging python-csb

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Tomás Di Domenico <tdido@tdido.com.ar> wrote:
> Another blurry point. I'm having a hard time understanding the
> separation of tasks between the tarball packaging done by upstream I
> described before, and my Debian packaging. Similar to the docs, the
> tests are run by upstream when they build the tarball. Is it common to
> also include these tests in Debian packages?

In my opinion, packages should always include a test suite if
available; this allows an end-user to run the test suite on their
system once the package is installed, thus allowing them to verify
that the software as installed on their system is actually functional.
Of course, running the test suite at package build time (and during
for development, for that matter) should also be done in order to
catch problems as far upstream as possible, but I think extending the
ability to test the software downstream as far as possible is also
important.