Re: How do I add support for python3 to my package?

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 08:30:41 AM Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Apr 12, 2012, at 02:09 AM, Paul Elliott wrote:
> >A recent review of my package asked me to consider making a python3
> >version.
>
> Excellent!  One more down the road to Python 3 world domination. :)
>
> >But the response below says that is difficult. It is several months old,
> >has this changed?
>
> I think it's not so hard, and you should definitely do it.  It's true that
> the tools need to catch up to Python 3, but I think most packages can be
> adapted to include python3-* versions without too much trouble.
>
> You might find this wiki page helpful:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Python/LibraryStyleGuide

I am not a expert python packager. I am dubious about a bunch of cargo cult
packagers all writing seperate but similar debian/rules complications.

It seems like one is creating a lot of debugging/maintainance problems.

Why can not some expert that really know what she is doing write the
neccessary infrastructure so that one could write

> %:
>         dh $@ --with python2-and-python3

I am not an expert and not particularly interested in joining a cargo cult.

I think that would be a better way to encourage python3 extensions.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J