Re: Request for Review - Nuitka the Python compiler

Hello Stefano,

Am 12.11.2011 22:16, schrieb Stefano Rivera:
Hi Kay (2011.11.12_23:01:43_+0200)
More or less stolen from "/usr/bin/hg" which does something similar.
I have hooked distutils to modify the scripts and replace @LIBDIR@
for the binary distributions.

I disabled that in mercurial in Debian.

That I noticed, yet it was very helpful for the non-debian cases of course. I am currently aiming at compiling (that works) and passing its test suite.

That needs more work, e.g. "inspect" is still hating some parts of Nuitka not having bytecode. Look at inspect.getargs occasionally to know why I am weeping. It looks at the bytecode doing the unpacking and assigning to know the nested parameters of functions...

But of course I also learned a few things from looking at hg and its package.

It caused a rather nasty bug:
first noticed in Ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mercurial/+bug/745250

I read it now.

The way we handle multiple python versions in Debian allows for .so and
.py files to differ between python versions (although .py files
differing is ugly and should be avoided). However, we cannot deal with
differences like that in scripts in /usr/bin. There's only one of those,
shared between all the python versions, so if you put things in it that
depend on a particular python version, things get ugly.

Luckily there is no dependency on a version, it just wouldn't work with 2.5, but I am not sure, it might as well. I originally developed Nuitka for CPython 2.5, but then Debian Testing changed to 2.6 and I followed it.

I don't really need or intend to build Nuitka on Wheezy for different CPython2 versions. The default will be good enough. For a backport it may be 2.6, for Wheezy it can be 2.7, and that's fine.

I really can live with "/usr/bin/env python" and a single version of Python entirely well.

So I think that trick is harmless. Anyway, I will remove it from the Debian package. I agree it ought to be unnecessary at best.

So I finally figured out, how to do remove things. I wasn't aware of "dpkg-source --commit" yet at all. Also the inline copy of scons is now gone. The copyright is there, etc.

I updated the deb_dist with my current work status:

http://www.nuitka.net/volatile/debian/deb_dist/

The patch is in:

http://www.nuitka.net/volatile/debian/deb_dist/nuitka-0.3.15pre2/debian/patches/

Yours,