Re: Request for Review - Nuitka the Python compiler

On Saturday 12 November 2011 22:50:13 Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Paul Boddie <paul@boddie.org.uk>, 2011-11-12, 15:08:
> >If Nuitka aims to be a Python alternative, shouldn't it use the
> >alternatives mechanism in Debian?
>
> We don't use alternatives for Python interpreters, for good reasons.

OK. I know of the alternatives system and have seen it used for stuff like
Java, so I thought it might be applicable to Python.

> >I didn't know there was an --install-layout option to setup.py, but I
> >haven't been following distutils so closely of late.
>
> --install-layout is a Debian-specific option.

Interesting.

[...]

> >I was told to drop X-Python-Version
>
> Why?

I may have been using XS-Python-Version, so I guess I'm a bit confused about
this.

> >I've always worked with the debian directory's files directly, and with
> >recent dh_python developments, the tricky parts like the rules file
> >becomes almost trivial;
>
> I can assure you that simplicity of your debian/rules has nothing to do
> with dh_python (or dh_python2, which you maybe meant) development.

Well, my point was just that something - debhelper, perhaps? - made the rules
file a lot smaller and with less boilerplate, which is useful if you're
maintaining a lot of packages. I was using pycentral before, and there's a
huge difference between then and now.

> >I have an override in the rules file for the man page:
> >
> >override_dh_auto_clean:
> >        rm -f debian/shedskin.1
> >        dh_auto_clean
>
> dh_clean reads filenames from debian/clean. You could add
> "debian/shedskin.1" to the file, and then get rid of this override.

OK, I've done this now. I can't see the debian/clean file in the New
Maintainers' Guide, but I guess it's documented somewhere.

Paul