Re: Request for Review - Nuitka the Python compiler

Hi Kay (2011.11.12_23:01:43_+0200)
> More or less stolen from "/usr/bin/hg" which does something similar.
> I have hooked distutils to modify the scripts and replace @LIBDIR@
> for the binary distributions.

I disabled that in mercurial in Debian. It caused a rather nasty bug:
first noticed in Ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mercurial/+bug/745250

The way we handle multiple python versions in Debian allows for .so and
.py files to differ between python versions (although .py files
differing is ugly and should be avoided). However, we cannot deal with
differences like that in scripts in /usr/bin. There's only one of those,
shared between all the python versions, so if you put things in it that
depend on a particular python version, things get ugly.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/