Re: Request for Review - Nuitka the Python compiler

* Paul Boddie <paul@boddie.org.uk>, 2011-11-12, 15:08:
c) I renamed "Nuitka.py" to a "nuitka" binary. I am keeping the drop-in replacement as "Python" though.
I don't think it's wise to call it "Python",

Agreed, this is bad idea.

If Nuitka aims to be a Python alternative, shouldn't it use the alternatives mechanism in Debian?

We don't use alternatives for Python interpreters, for good reasons.

I didn't know there was an --install-layout option to setup.py, but I haven't been following distutils so closely of late.

--install-layout is a Debian-specific option.

Package: nuitka
Architecture: all
Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${python:Depends}, g++-4.6 (>= 4.6.1), scons
(>=2.1.0-1)

The general goal would be to make it back portable, that is why I am using Python 2.6 as my upstream required minimum. I hope control is the right spot, the tutorial didn't make that so clear.

For build depends I am not so sure.

I was told to drop X-Python-Version

Why?

I've always worked with the debian directory's files directly, and with recent dh_python developments, the tricky parts like the rules file becomes almost trivial;

I can assure you that simplicity of your debian/rules has nothing to do with dh_python (or dh_python2, which you maybe meant) development.

I have an override in the rules file for the man page:

override_dh_auto_clean:
       rm -f debian/shedskin.1
       dh_auto_clean

dh_clean reads filenames from debian/clean. You could add "debian/shedskin.1" to the file, and then get rid of this override.

--
Jakub Wilk