Re: Add Python3 support to python-support packages: howto?

[Sandro Tosi, 2010-09-16]
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:26, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> > and then I will not ask you to test things written last
> > night (yeah, I have day job and real life as well)
>
> That's not a problem. What I want to know is if the guide you wrote is
> already working

yes, it's working. You can even test it with python3.2 from experimental
(run f.e. `py3compile -V 3.2 -p python3-foo` as root - py3compile will
ignore list of supported versions if version is listed explicit)

> and stable or not

I still want to make few changes, f.e. convince (i.e. prepare patches)
debhelper maintainer to invoke dh_pytho3 for all python3-foo packages¹
by default or build extensions for all `py3versions -rv` versions if
python3-all* is a build dependency. CDBS needs some love as well.

[¹] dh_pysupport and dh_pycentral ignores them already,
    dh_python3 ignores python-foo (but there are possible conflicts with
    handling private directories, so I don't want to have dh_python3
    enabled for all binary packages by default)

> > You can always postpone your work until after Squeeze release.
>
> If you want to use this argument, than this questions quickly arise:
> why is having python3 packages in squeeze pushed so hard when we don't
> have yet a stable and working workflow?

it's explained in mail sent by Matthias. Without changes at least
in pythoh3.1 and python3-defaults, it will be much harder to support
Python 3 in Wheezy (and if RMs will not accept them, it would be better
to not support Python 3 in Squeeze at all, IMHO)