Re: Add Python3 support to python-support packages: howto?

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 09:26, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> [Sandro Tosi, 2010-09-16]
>> From recent uploads, it seems that a proper python3 stack (i.e.
>> interpreter, -default and helper tools) is still a work-in-progress:
>> am I wrong on this? can we start to provide third-party modules py3k
>> binary packages without having to change several other times how the
>> packaging is done? If it's still and on-going effort, do you have any
>> estimate when it will converge to a usable state?
>
> ask release managers to announce freeze few months in advance next time
> instead of *after* the freeze (so that *all* transitions can be planned
> in a sane way)

Like if they're going to listen to me... (but that's OT in regards to
my question)

> and then I will not ask you to test things written last
> night (yeah, I have day job and real life as well)

That's not a problem. What I want to know is if the guide you wrote is
already working and stable or not, and so if we can prepare py3k
packages that will not require further change in a matter of days (or
so). From your reply, I can infer the answer is 'no', which is fine,
since I just wanted to know that :)

> You can always postpone your work until after Squeeze release.

If you want to use this argument, than this questions quickly arise:
why is having python3 packages in squeeze pushed so hard when we don't
have yet a stable and working workflow?

Regards,