Re: Add Python3 support to python-support packages: howto?

Hello,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:16, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> [Sandro Tosi, 2010-09-14]
>> how to do that for a package using python-support?
>
> * add python3 or python3-all or python3-all-dev to Build-Depends(-Indep)
>  (+ python3-all-dbg for -dbg package)
> * add python3-foo binary package (with ${python3:Depends} in Depends)
> * optionally: set minimum required Python 3 version via X-Python3-Version
> * build extensions for all `py3versions -vr` versions
> * for dh "rules.tiny" packages:
>  - add "--with python3" to dh call (`--with python2,python3` will also
>    use dh_python2), or:
>  - override_dh_pysupport:
>        dh_pysupport
>        dh_python3
> * for all other debian/rules (including CDBS for now):
>  invoke dh_python3 (make sure to do that before dh_strip in arch:any
>  packages)
>
> Notes:
> * you can use -p and -N with dh_py* tools to decide which one should
>  handle private directories, dh_python3 ignores public Python 2.X locations
> * if you need to change files in dist-packages directory, you can use
>  py_libdir & py_pkgname¹ macros to get the right directory or use
>  something like:
>
>    pkgdir = $(CURDIR)/debian/python$(if $(patsubst 3.%,,$(1)),,3)-mako
>
> [¹] available in /usr/share/python/python.mk since python 2.6.6-2
>    and in /usr/share/python3/python.mk since 3.1.2-7

Thanks Piotr for the guide!

>From recent uploads, it seems that a proper python3 stack (i.e.
interpreter, -default and helper tools) is still a work-in-progress:
am I wrong on this? can we start to provide third-party modules py3k
binary packages without having to change several other times how the
packaging is done? If it's still and on-going effort, do you have any
estimate when it will converge to a usable state?

Regards,