Re: (again) Why default python is not 2.6 yet?

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 04:18:28PM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 15:49, Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:05:56AM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> >> If there is a valid, technical reason, please let us know, but as of
> >> now I can't see any.
> >
> > Loads of RC bugfixes (partly on obsolete versions) waiting to enter testing
> > which would more blocked that it already is with the mips* buildd backlog.
>
> Those RC are still RC even in a month or 2, only that knowing them,
> they can be fixed.

You misinterpreted my sentence. I already have *7* RC bugs on OOo fixed in
sid. They wait for entering testing. Since weeks.

And I don't want 3.1.1 in squeeze. 3.2.0 is (indepently from
what I think) far better.

> >> So, let's just change the default to 2.6, kindly ask Lucas to do an
> >> archive-wide rebuild (I'm pretty sure he'll be happy to support us,
> >> but not certan, hey we still have to ask him ;) ), and deal with the
> >> fallback.
> >
> > For months. At which time we'll still have the completely obsolete OOo 3.1.1
> > (or whatever else example you find) in squeeze. No.
>
> That holds true any time we do the switch. So when should we change
> the default? the moment we freeze?

In a sane moment.

> You mentioned OOo, we have also libjpeg mess going on, and soon we'll
> have php5 probably.

Obviously those are sifferent, and php5 *is* the uptodate version, not
a 1 year old one.

> >> Keep waiting and waiting is pointless, and does only harm for the
> >> target to support a stable release (there are very few people actively
> >
> > That's true, though. But python's not alone in the world and if you did
> > it far earlier....
>
> I understand, when you touch "core/big" packages, there are always
> consequences; but I don't get what you're suggesting to actually
> switch: at freeze time, when there are no other transition on sight
> (i.e. never), release squeeze with 2.5 as default, else?

When should packages enter testing? Shortly before the freeze without
proper testing?