Re: (again) Why default python is not 2.6 yet?

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 15:49, Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:05:56AM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> If there is a valid, technical reason, please let us know, but as of
>> now I can't see any.
>
> Loads of RC bugfixes (partly on obsolete versions) waiting to enter testing
> which would more blocked that it already is with the mips* buildd backlog.

Those RC are still RC even in a month or 2, only that knowing them,
they can be fixed.

>> So, let's just change the default to 2.6, kindly ask Lucas to do an
>> archive-wide rebuild (I'm pretty sure he'll be happy to support us,
>> but not certan, hey we still have to ask him ;) ), and deal with the
>> fallback.
>
> For months. At which time we'll still have the completely obsolete OOo 3.1.1
> (or whatever else example you find) in squeeze. No.

That holds true any time we do the switch. So when should we change
the default? the moment we freeze?

You mentioned OOo, we have also libjpeg mess going on, and soon we'll
have php5 probably.

>> Keep waiting and waiting is pointless, and does only harm for the
>> target to support a stable release (there are very few people actively
>
> That's true, though. But python's not alone in the world and if you did
> it far earlier....

I understand, when you touch "core/big" packages, there are always
consequences; but I don't get what you're suggesting to actually
switch: at freeze time, when there are no other transition on sight
(i.e. never), release squeeze with 2.5 as default, else?

It was not done before, that's a fact. It should be done now, and deal
with the damage it generates (of course, with the help of RT, if they
agree to start the transition).

Regards,