Re: jQuery dependency for Trac 0.11 should be < 1.3

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 4:27 PM, W. Martin Borgert <debacle@debian.org> wrote:

>> Then we should also patch "trac-admin deploy" command so that it
>> create symlinks to static resources instead of copies to update user
>> environments to latest jQuery automaically.
>
> I don't remember, I ever used "trac-admin deploy", and I wonder how
> useful it is. It saves you from creating one symlink and creating
> one WSGI file of typically about ten lines, right?

Not only that - these ten lines are not fixed - it records path to the
correct python interpreter and path to environment. That makes sure
that it will be run with the Python you've run "deploy" with and for
which you've probably installed all your plugins. This also important
in case of virtualenv.

> Maybe it's sufficient to change the documentation of the deploy
> command in README.Debian? Like:
>
> If you prefer copies (which are not updated automatically, even
> in case of security issues), use "trac-admin deploy", if you
> prefer links, use the following commands:
>
> $ cp /usr/share/doc/trac/examples/foo.wsgi /my/trac/env/cgi-bin/
> $ vi /my/trac/env/cgi-bin/foo.wsgi # adjust trac env directory
> $ ln -s /usr/share/pyshared/trac/htdocs /my/trac/env/

That's not sufficient. To update Trac environment you will need to run
"trac-admin upgrade" and optionally "trac-admin wiki upgrade". The
second point is that web-servers (including Apache) treat symlinks
differently and I am unsure how to setup web permissions correctly if
symlinks lead outside of your environment. "deploy" is useful command
- it exports web resources that can be configured to be served
statically, which should greatly reduce server load by avoiding
for CGI.

--
anatoly t.