Re: jQuery dependency for Trac 0.11 should be < 1.3

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 6:56 PM, W. Martin Borgert <debacle@debian.org> wrote:

>> 2. Thing to consider. When you create Environment and "deploy" it with
>> trac-admin (to generate fastcgi/mod_wsgi scripts) - copies of static
>> resources for web-server, including JavaScript won't be updated when
>> you fix your security package. Right now nobody handles this, but only
>> trac-admin "upgrade" could potentially heal it given it will be able
>> to detect old and new jQuery version in user Environment.
>
> Trac works fine without having such copies. I really would
> not recommend this style of installation. Exactly for the
> reasons you mentioned. I use symlinks and shared directories.

Is it possible to create symlink on a symlink?
(I am on windows right now - can't test)

>> Martin, you are wrong.
>> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ApiChanges/0.11#NewDependencies
>> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/JavaScript#jQuery
>
> But trac works perfectly well with any kind of JavaScript.
> (I have JavaScript disabled for anything, but some sites.)

That's true. Trac was designed to work even without JavaScript, but
Trac plugins are written by community and people often assume that
jQuery is available.

>> Does that mean people won't be able to install Trac 0.12 on Lenny?
>
> No. It would mean that two libjs-jquery packages would exist in
> parallel, one with the latest 1.2, the other with the latest
> 1.3 version and that Trac 0.11 could use one, 0.12 the other.

That makes sense, but they could not at the moment if I understand
correctly? It will require splitting libjs-jquery into libjs-jquery12
and libjs-jquery13 - is that right?

> Yes. I fear, we don't have the human power to maintain both
> 0.11 and 0.12 in parallel in Debian. OTOH, it would be cool
> to have 0.12 in the next Debian release, but of course we
> can't drop 0.11 at the moment, as too many people use it.

Is that only human power problem? Where the most time will be spent if
we play this scenario?

> Which plugin(s) exactly did not work with libjs-jquery >= 1.3?
> Do you have any further information what the problem is/was?

At first it was AccountManager, then I ended up with the necessity of
installing TracDeveloper, wasted some time patching Trac code to find
the source of the problem. Found that TracDeveloper uses wrong version
of jQuery, fixed Apache configuration, restored jQuery, reenabled
AccountManager, made modifications to my own plugs. Now I still have
AccountManager named "urwid" in Trac Admin panel, but I do not even
want to repeat this awful SSH experience.

> Today we will have 30°C, so I will postpone this a little bit :~)

You are lucky. It is a few degrees above the zero, the snow is
melting, snowboard is slowly covering with rust, Santa was trapped in
mud and stole my sock to change one of his own. Everything is just
plain wrong.

--
anatoly t.