Re: jQuery dependency for Trac 0.11 should be < 1.3

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 3:29 AM, W. Martin Borgert <debacle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting "anatoly techtonik" <techtonik@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Then why can't you wait until upstream developers, whose product
>> bundles that library, confirm, validate, test and release fix for that
>> error in their source package together with release announcement? Also
>> in the case of Trac/jQuery.
>
> Again, many applications have many libraries and tools as embedded
> code copies. jQuery alone is used by 58 Debian packages. As I'm
> already repeating myself I'll stop now arguing about the issue.
> Btw. inside of Debian nor Ubuntu I'm not aware of other opinions
> in this matter.

But we are not maintaining those 58 packages! When I be designing my
own cloud OS I'll make sure to give a special attention to this case.
So that when new security fix for enclosed/used library is released,
package maintainers receive a warning first.

>> Is it possible to create symlink on a symlink?
>> (I am on windows right now - can't test)
>
> Yes.

Then we should also patch "trac-admin deploy" command so that it
create symlinks to static resources instead of copies to update user
environments to latest jQuery automaically.

>> That's true. Trac was designed to work even without JavaScript, but
>> Trac plugins are written by community and people often assume that
>> jQuery is available.
>
> That's why the Debian Trac package recommends jQuery. In the
> default case, it is installed automatically, but you can
> explicitly say "no", if you want to.

So, if a package is listed in "Recommends:" section it is installed
automatically by command line "aptitude install trac"? Didn't know
that.

--
anatoly t.