Re: python shebang, and other interpreters.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 14:07 +0200, Siegfried Gevatter wrote:
> 2009/9/21 Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
> >>  Maybe the applications
> >> using /usr/bin/env should get a bug filled, I agree with that.

> Can someone explain again what is it that we are gong to gain by
> patching like 50% of all applications?

First and foremost consistency among and predictable behaviour of *all*
Python application in Debian.

I can't say much to the specific merits of adopting '/usr/bin/python'
as default scheme, others may want to do, but the most important point
is that the "do what you see fit, but we prefer *bin/python" lead to a
wild hotchpotch of implemented schemes [1] (1-2 and 3-4)  causing
different behaviour of Python applications in certain situations.

thanks for all the fish

    Wolodja

[1] Schemes:

    1. /usr/bin/python
    2. /usr/bin/pythonX.Y (2.4 and 2.5 right now)

    3. /usr/bin/env python
    4. /usr/bin/env pythonX.Y