Re: python shebang, and other interpreters.

Hi,

On Mon, 21.09.2009 at 12:13:46 +0200, Wolodja Wentland <wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> Hmmm, no. Python applications that need a specific version of Python
> should use
>
>     #!/usr/bin/env pythonX.Y
>
> or
>
>     #!/usr/bin/pythonX.Y
>
> stating that they need this specific version of Python.

how else is an application supposed to state that it needs a specific
Python version?

> A lot of Python software runs with different Python versions and if
> there are differences the application is buggy and should get fixed.

*LOL*

You might want to look into "fixing" Zope that way. Good luck, and I
guess that some fame will come your way, should you succeed.

However, I agree that it's generally desirable to be able to run
applications on "any" Python version, but, as with probably all other
bigger systems (Java, ...), it is just not realistic to say "If app X
doesn't run with all environments Y, then the app is broken", simply
because no-one will be inclined, or even able, to "fix" it, usually for
marginal benefit.

Kind regards,
--Toni++