Re: numpy 1.2.1, switching to git?

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> [Ondrej Certik, 2008-12-23 11:19]
>> emilio@saturno:~/deb/python-modules$ svn log | egrep "^r[0-9]+ " | cut
>> -f2 -d'|' | sed 's/-guest//' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n -r
>>     865  piotr
>>     609  morph
>>     598  kov
>>     532  bzed
>>     388  pox
>
> 865+388=1253
>
> looks like my vote is most meaningful ;-)
>
> unfortunately I use Git only outside Debian, so I don't know about
> issues git-buildpackage might have. I know it doesn't have
> mergeWithUpstream but it's written in Python, so we can implement this.
> The problem is (FWIK) that it's better to use Git with upstream sources
> (with tools like pristine-tar)... anyway, I vote for Git, but I'm open
> to alternative suggestions.

Well, we'll have to divide our svn repo into many small git
repositories anyways. And if there is enough space on git.debian.org,
I suggest we also include upstream sources and use pristine-tar, as
then one will just have to "git clone" and no other messing with the
origtarball (this is really a pain with svn). Take the "mutt" package
as an example:

$ debcheckout mutt
$ cd mutt
$ bzr builddeb
[...]
bzr: ERROR: The build failed.

Because the orig.tar.gz is missing. What is the easiest to obtain the
right orig.tar.gz? (I can go to packages.debian.org and download it by
hand, but preferably there is just one command for that) If we include
upstream sources, it would be just:

$ debcheckout mutt
$ cd mutt
$ git buildpackage
[...]
Finished running lintian.

And that's it. It will be a lot easier for onetime for new people to
start contributing, because they won't have to setup their
environment. But maybe there is some other way to handle upstream
source than just including them in the git repository.

Ondrej