Re: numpy 1.2.1, switching to git?

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 06:43:19PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>> Monty Taylor wrote:
>> > /me whinges that switching to bzr for packaging in general would be a
>> > much nicer thing overall, since then ubuntu downstream is pretty well
>> > bzr...
>
>> unfortunatelt I don't know why they use bzr
>
> Because bzr was developed in conjunction with Ubuntu? :)  (This might mean
> Ubuntu is somewhat biased in favor of bzr; OTOH, it also means that bzr
> developers are responsive to the needs of Ubuntu developers.)
>
>> as it is really ugly to use
>
> Ugly how?
>
>> (that's just my subjective opinion, please don't start a flame war now....)
>
> It's a rather strongly worded opinion; if you want to avoid flame wars, you
> might find it helpful to bring specific criticisms to the table instead of
> just declaring a solution "ugly". :)

Well, it's just slow ---- once you get used to git and how fast it is,
it really sucks to wait for basic operations like "bzr di". See e.g.
my comparison here:

http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial/2008-August/021009.html

But as Bernd said, let's not start a flamewar about this. But I think
it's useful to see what all the debian-python developers think. As I
told Matthias offlist, we should only switch to git if most of
developers are fine with that. Yeah, but since we are talking about
that --- Steve, do you really think that bzr has any future? I know
that Ubuntu is using it a lot, and couple other projects (mostly
hosted on Launchpad), but that's about it. Git, on the other hand, is
used a lot in Debian, and in a lot of other projects. Also you have
many places on the internet to store your repository (github,
gitorious, git.debian.org, ...).

As to mercurial ---- Tristan, I don't know if you actually ever used
hg-buildpackage, but it is written in Haskell (!) and see my blog post
here:

http://ondrejcertik.blogspot.com/2007/10/mercurial-vs-git-for-managing-debian.html

it's not really well polished (well, of course, because not a lot of
people are using it, compared to git-buildpackage).

Anyway, besides stating which vcs one likes, this is mostly a debate
over a beer in Prague, but well, why not, I just had several of them.

Ondrej