Re: Proposed update to the python policy

Le jeudi 22 mars 2007 à 19:56 +0100, Pierre Habouzit a écrit :
> > Just nitpicking: the dh_ tool doesn't need to know that, as it can guess
> > it from what was previously built. This is a hint for the release
> > managers (to know which packages need a binNMU), and could be the base
> > for a script automating the build process.
>
>   It's not necessarily true: when there is only one python supported,
> you can't tell the difference between a package that only supports the
> default python, or any of them :)

This is not a problem for the dh_ tool, as the resulting binary package
will be exactly the same in both cases.

This is indeed a problem for the release managers, as they need a way to
disambiguate between these two cases. In this case, "current" is a hint,
a declaration that has to be matched by what's in debian/rules, but it's
not a proof the package is built this way.

If we really need such a hint, I'd prefer to see it in another place
than the field containing version information. However we might as well
use the python-dev / python-all-dev build-dependencies to obtain the
same information.

I don't think we are missing any case, but we should probably write some
binNMU detection script for use by the release managers, summarizing all
of these thoughts.
--
 .''`.