Re: Proposed modification to the Python Policy

Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

> Jérôme Marant writes:
> >   I do propose that we install all architecture independant modules
> >   in /usr/share and all architecture dependent modules in /usr/lib
> >   as it has always been.
>
> assume we have a package with an architecture independant module and
> an architecture dependent module. Then we have to split it in share
> and lib? ugly. And it's unsupported upstream by distutils.

  I made a mistake: i should have said "files" rather than "modules".
  No need to split the package.
  This would make sense IMHO. (BTW, Brendan O'Dea did the same with
  perl).

  For instance, all lib-dynload files would go to /usr/lib and all
  .py would go to /usr/share

  With distuptils, you can do that with some options among the following:

  Options for 'install' command:
  --prefix            installation prefix
  --exec-prefix       (Unix only) prefix for platform-specific files
  --home              (Unix only) home directory to install under
  --install-base      base installation directory (instead of --prefix or --
                      home)
  --install-platbase  base installation directory for platform-specific files
                      (instead of --exec-prefix or --home)
  --root              install everything relative to this alternate root
                      directory
  --install-purelib   installation directory for pure Python module
                      distributions
  --install-platlib   installation directory for non-pure module distributions
  --install-lib       installation directory for all module distributions
                      (overrides --install-purelib and --install-platlib)

> I don't see this proposal as necessary for the transition from 1.5 to
> 2.1, so I would like to see it not as part of the policy during the
> transition.

  No, this is not necessary but as we are writing the Policy, I would like
  to see it for the near future. I am personaly ready to implement this in
  my packages.

Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>
              <jerome@marant.org>

http://marant.org