Re: Proposed modification to the Python Policy

Quoting Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr>:

> Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> > Jérôme Marant writes:
> > >   I do propose that we install all architecture independant modules
> > >   in /usr/share and all architecture dependent modules in /usr/lib
> > >   as it has always been.
[...]
> > I don't see this proposal as necessary for the transition from 1.5 to
> > 2.1, so I would like to see it not as part of the policy during the
> > transition.
>
>   No, this is not necessary but as we are writing the Policy, I would
> like
>   to see it for the near future. I am personaly ready to implement this
> in
>   my packages.

I agree that it would be nice, but I think it can wait until there is better
Debian-wide support for clusters of workstations nfs-mounting /usr/share. As it
currently stands I don't believe Debian can be made to behave nicely in such an
environment, with conflicts/deficiencies arising between packages installed on
servers and workstations. I welcome any hints/suggestions to to contrary :-)

Worthwhile considering for the future, but no point in holding up a Policy for
it right now.

--
ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more information.