Re: Debian Python policy & Upgrade Path (draft/proposal)

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 10:27:54AM +1300, Carey Evans wrote:
> Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > exactly. But you see that these packages will break when you try to
> > upgrade. We can't make 2.1 the default right now, because we will
> > _silently_ break packages. Before python can point to python2.1, we
> > will have to fix all packages which depend on python-base, to depend
> > on python-base (<< 1.6).
>
> But if we get Python 2.1 into Debian 3.0, people will be upgrading
> from the old Python 1.5 packages in Debian 2.2 directly to the new
> packages, and unless they use "apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade to
> the newest versions of everything, packages will still be broken.
>
> For that matter, just getting everyone using testing to transition
> over to the new versions properly will be nearly impossible unless
> there are appropriate conflicts and dependencies to make sure that
> only working combinations of packages can be installed.

Good point... I'd forgotten about that. This means we might as well go
strait to python2.1 as the default, but make sure that the python2.1-xxx
packages have versioned conflicts with all the packages that depend on just
python or python-base and install into /usr/lib/python1.5/. Perhaps the best
way to do this is have python-base (2.1xxx) have all the conflicts, allowing
the other packages to be relatively clean.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key