Re: Debian Python policy & Upgrade Path (draft/proposal)

Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au> writes:

> Good point... I'd forgotten about that. This means we might as well go
> strait to python2.1 as the default, but make sure that the python2.1-xxx
> packages have versioned conflicts with all the packages that depend on just
> python or python-base and install into /usr/lib/python1.5/. Perhaps the best
> way to do this is have python-base (2.1xxx) have all the conflicts, allowing
> the other packages to be relatively clean.

Another possibility is for python-base to go away, and for a new
package that conflicts with it, and has a different name, to take its
place.  In stable, it seems that only bg5ps, grmonitor, pythondoc and
sketch depend on "python", compared to 59 which depend on python-base,
so this would make the Conflicts field just a little bit shorter.

(Actually 60, but gimp-python also depends on python-base (<< 1.6.0)).

Packages that depend on python:
   grep-dctrl -FDepends -e 'python([ ,]|$)' Packages

Packages that depend on python-base:
   grep-dctrl -FDepends python-base Packages

It seems things have gotten worse... I count 22 packages in unstable
that depend on "python", and around 101 that depend on python-base
only once.

		      "Ha ha!  Puny receptacle!"