Re: Debian Python policy & Upgrade Path (draft/proposal)

Jérôme Marant writes:
> Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>   I have some questions about the upgrade procedure:
>

> >A. Upgrade Procedure
> >--------------------
> >
> >     This section describe the procedure for the upgrade from the current
> >     `python-<XXX> (1.5)' packages to the `python1.5-<XXX>' packages, the
> >     removal of the `python2-<XXX>' packages and the upgrade to the recent
> >     `python2.1-<XXX>' upstream packages:
> >
> >     1.   File bugs against any packages that do not meet the above
> >          alternatives for packages.  XXX Do we allow NMUs which only fix
> >          the dependencies?
> >
> >     2.   Remove the python alternative from the current `python-base'
> >          package.  The `python-base (1.5.2)' package provides the symlink
> >          to `python1.5'.
> >
> >     3.   Change the description of the `python-<module> (1.5.2)' packages
> >          to "Package providing Debian's default version of the
> >          `python-<module>' package".  Make the `python-<module> (1.5.2)'
> >          packages depend on `python1.5-<module>>'.
>

> . Are you talking about all Python modules or the core Python modules?

the core pyton modules. If a package maintainer decides to support
more than one Python version, then he should make such a package as well.

> . I don't see why the default version should be dependant on 1.5
>   rather than the latest Python

see step 4.

> . We are not allowed to mention the name of the package itself in the short
>   description

s/the `python-<module>' package/this package/

> >     4.   Wait until all/most bug reports filed in 1) are resolved.  Note
> >          that during this transition, `python1.5' is the default, so all
> >          packages should be fixed to match the above scheme where
> >          `python1.5' is the default.  At this point we have transitioned
> >          to the new scheme.  The next part is using this scheme to
> >          transition from 1.5 to 2.1.
> >     8.   Hopefully release woody with `python2.1' or better as the default
> >          Python version.
>
> . Do you mean that python-base and al. with be version 2.1 and provide
>   a new symlink to /usr/bin/python2.1?

yes.

>   So, it will break modules which depend on the base python right?
>   Why not making 2.1 default right now ?

exactly. But you see that these packages will break when you try to
upgrade. We can't make 2.1 the default right now, because we will
_silently_ break packages. Before python can point to python2.1, we
will have to fix all packages which depend on python-base, to depend
on python-base (<< 1.6). That was my second proposal in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2001/debian-python-200110/msg00063.html
It was found, that the approach to fix the packages before the
transition would be safer.