Re: Debian Python policy & Upgrade Path (draft/proposal)

Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

[...]

> exactly. But you see that these packages will break when you try to
> upgrade. We can't make 2.1 the default right now, because we will
> _silently_ break packages. Before python can point to python2.1, we
> will have to fix all packages which depend on python-base, to depend
> on python-base (<< 1.6).

But if we get Python 2.1 into Debian 3.0, people will be upgrading
from the old Python 1.5 packages in Debian 2.2 directly to the new
packages, and unless they use "apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade to
the newest versions of everything, packages will still be broken.

For that matter, just getting everyone using testing to transition
over to the new versions properly will be nearly impossible unless
there are appropriate conflicts and dependencies to make sure that
only working combinations of packages can be installed.

		      "Ha ha!  Puny receptacle!"