Re: [RFR] wml://News/weekly/2012/04/index.wml

On 20/02/2012 8:06 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 07:31:07PM +0100, fred wrote:
I only see 2 alternatives :
*1/ a joke, so someone have to wait till the 1st of April,
*2/ not a joke, so like to say the following, to convince to erase
this article, as asked before by David Prévot - you mentionned him
in :
http://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/2012/02/msg00049.html
FWIW, this article has been written by a Debian developer. I doubt that
he was joking...

The author is James Bromberger <jeb@debian.org> and he got in touch with
the debian publicity team (on IRC) to mention this article.

Indeed, not joking. Thank you Raphael.

It was a serious update to old data: when I started looking the only article I could remember was putting the value at US$1.9 Billion. I also put this article past three other DD's days before it went public, including the DPL and a previous DPL to get any concerns from them, as well as the private press@d.o email list (there were none).

I'll refrain from replying to individual points; the data/value is simplistic, yet impressive; the summary per-package is available for all to review from my post. If others wish to use other numbers or sources, please go ahead. I'd be happy to discuss several variations of the research off list.

Personally, I think Debian is... priceless (implying of unmeasurable value).

I also value this debate -- to filter items on relevancy.

  James
(DD since 2000, user since 1995 or so)
--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au