Re: [RFR] wml://News/weekly/2012/04/index.wml

Hello,

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 07:31:07PM +0100, fred wrote:
> > I only see 2 alternatives :
> > *1/ a joke, so someone have to wait till the 1st of April,
> > *2/ not a joke, so like to say the following, to convince to erase
> > this article, as asked before by David Prévot - you mentionned him
> > in :
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/2012/02/msg00049.html

FWIW, this article has been written by a Debian developer. I doubt that
he was joking...

The author is James Bromberger <jeb@debian.org> and he got in touch with
the debian publicity team (on IRC) to mention this article.

> > "What is this mania which have some to always give a monetary value
> > to everything? The author of this article, decides on salary for
> > hundreds (thousands) of human beings who "perspire" on their
> > keyboards after work ? In fact, this man, against the advice of the
> > volunteers - who  get involved for free in the Community, and thus
> > demonetize their actions - comes to decide on their salary ? Even
> > more, if possible, against the advice of universities and others
> > which put of the equipment and premises, free of charge, this man
> > comes to decide on the prices for the equipment and the rentals ???"

This is overzealous interpretation of the facts presented in the article.

And I believe that anyone should be able to accept that others have
different perspective on the same project... and IMO there's no reason
here to require silencing the other point of view.

The right answer would be to write a blog post explaining your point of
view and have the DPN feature both points of views ! This would be much
more productive IMO.

> I was quite unsure about put it in or not, just because - as Debian
> is the Universal Operating System - DPN needs to include various
> aspect of it, not only my personal view of what is Debian (or yours).

Honestly, I was also doubtful about this article and I won't regret its
removal but I'm rather worried by the underlying willingness to
ban content just because one or two doesn't like it. Reporting this
article would not have hurt anyone.

When I read commit messages like "Debian is not about monetary value (Aka:
no monetary crap allowed \o/)" it really smells like inquisition to me
(and it's not really respectful of the DD who wrote the article either).
No other points of views allowed.

And this is definitely not my conception of Debian.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer