Re: GPL-like numbers, and monetary value [Was: DPN 04/2012 frozen. Please review and translate]

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 02:09:33PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 18/02/2012 07:16, Francesca Ciceri a écrit :
>
> > As usual, the issue is available on the publicity subversion repository,
> > even via HTTP:
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/publicity/dpn/en/current/index.wml?view=co
>
> Thanks Francesca,
>
> I'm wondering about John Sullivan' numbers in the GPL article: Russ,
> since you often check for such numbers in order to include licenses in
> /usr/share/common-licenses, can you please confirm the claim that “93%
> of Debian Squeeze's packages are released under licences in the GPL
> family (including the GPL, the Affero GPL and LGPL)”?

Mmh. Given Russ' reply we can probably delete the part about numbers,
shortening the article and add it to "other news".

> I'm also having some heavy doubts about the “Monetary value of Debian
> Wheezy”: Debian is really not about market crap, and evaluating the
> value of Debian is dollars is IMHO a really poor view of what Debian
> actually represents. Can we please remove this article, or at least
> shorten it in the “Other News” part of the DPN?

I agree that is a oh-so-partial and poor view of what Debian is (and
represent). Anyway, I thought it was worth to mention as it had quite
resonance during the last week, and also because it probably consists in
good marketing (but I'm not really a marketing person, so not sure about
it).
Anyway, if there are strong objection on this one I'm fine with deleting
it at all. If not (i.e. only David objects on it) I'm perfectly fine with
the shortening and adding it in the "others" section.

So: any other opionion/idea about it?

Cheers,
Francesca

--