Re: possible worth a press release: debian.org goes private cloud

Hi,

On Sun Sep 16, 2012 at 20:48:34 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 01:12:16PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> > On Sat Sep 15, 2012 at 13:58:01 +0200, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> > > I think that being donations involved, the (general) press release +
> > > (technical detailed) blogpost is the best solution.
> > > As the press release will be targeted to general public, it would be a
> > > good idea to address some questions like:
>
> I like the idea of doing some communication about this, thanks Martin
> for throwing it in the bucket. I must admit that, imvho, this is the
> kind of stuff that would fit more a post on "the official debian blog"
> than a full-blown press release. But lacking the first one, the latter
> would have to do.
>
> (So, while we're at it: any news on the blog infrastructure front? :-P)
>
> > With the recent set of hardware we bought or we got donated in the last
> > months we were able to build up clusters of hardware. This offered the
> > opportunity to use a cluster virtualization manager. We chosed ganeti2.
> > So yes, basicly we start building our own private cloud.
>
> So maybe we can point to http://www.debian.org/News/2012/20120425 (our
> cloud-related press release) and argue that we're dogfooding, as we
> often do: we do for ourselves what we think is good in general for user
> freedom.
>
> > > I'd add obviously the thanks to people who donated (plus a clever
> > > link to how donate moar).
> >
> > i THINK the amount of 35-40k USD was spend either by direct hardware
> > donations and money donations on new hardware the last 18 month.
> > Auditors or DPL should be able give more exact numbers if needed. So
> > we should thanks our donors here, and our hosting partners.
>
> Let's see if this actually works :-) Oh all might auditors, can you help
> us out with this? But at the very least DSA should tell us which, of the
> recently bought machines, have played a role in the new setup. Then it
> will just be a matter of summing up costs.

boito.debian.org and bertali.debian.org running in the blade center at
UBCECE, bought by Debian donations, clementi.debian.org and
czerny.debian.org running at man-da. Also UBCECE donated two blades
equal to boito/bertali.

Cheers,
Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>  | Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer           |           Debian Listmaster