Re: possible worth a press release: debian.org goes private cloud

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 01:12:16PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> On Sat Sep 15, 2012 at 13:58:01 +0200, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> > I think that being donations involved, the (general) press release +
> > (technical detailed) blogpost is the best solution.
> > As the press release will be targeted to general public, it would be a
> > good idea to address some questions like:

I like the idea of doing some communication about this, thanks Martin
for throwing it in the bucket. I must admit that, imvho, this is the
kind of stuff that would fit more a post on "the official debian blog"
than a full-blown press release. But lacking the first one, the latter
would have to do.

(So, while we're at it: any news on the blog infrastructure front? :-P)

> With the recent set of hardware we bought or we got donated in the last
> months we were able to build up clusters of hardware. This offered the
> opportunity to use a cluster virtualization manager. We chosed ganeti2.
> So yes, basicly we start building our own private cloud.

So maybe we can point to http://www.debian.org/News/2012/20120425 (our
cloud-related press release) and argue that we're dogfooding, as we
often do: we do for ourselves what we think is good in general for user
freedom.

> > I'd add obviously the thanks to people who donated (plus a clever
> > link to how donate moar).
>
> i THINK the amount of 35-40k USD was spend either by direct hardware
> donations and money donations on new hardware the last 18 month.
> Auditors or DPL should be able give more exact numbers if needed. So
> we should thanks our donors here, and our hosting partners.

Let's see if this actually works :-) Oh all might auditors, can you help
us out with this? But at the very least DSA should tell us which, of the
recently bought machines, have played a role in the new setup. Then it
will just be a matter of summing up costs.

As a last comment, I wouldn't emphasize too the "community written" free
software aspect in this press release. It seems to me that an important
share of the free software you're using has been heavily developed by
corporations. Which is good, as they are corporations investing in the
development of free software, but doesn't make the resulting software
particularly community-driven.  I suggest to just stay on the "free
software powered" angle.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .