Re: [Re: Debian mirrors in China]

On May 15, 2011, at 18:57, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:55:19PM +0200, Simon Paillard wrote:
>> With my mirroradm hat, I was about to propose a line in the DPN, in order to
>> encourage Chinese users to use ftp.cn.debian.org, something like:
>>
>> « The mirror team is please to announce the new ftp.cn.debian.org Debian mirror
>> in China, hosted by University of Science and Technology of China. We encourage
>> Chinese users to switch to that mirror, which is available in IPv6 too. »
>
> Thanks a lot for this line, which is a very nice one to have. I still
> believe the change in mirroring quality would deserve a dedicated Debian
> News announce, but I cannot volunteer to write one myself, so DPN would
> be better than nothing :-)
>
> On the other hand, if either you or Aron would be willing to draft an
> announcement, which might also be brief, I believe there won't be any
> problem in sending it out as a separate announcement.  Aron, if you
> would be so kind in doing that, I suggest you have a look at the News
> archive linked from www.debian.org. If you could mail a plain text draft
> to the -publicity list, we'll then take over from there.

I'm not Aron, but I'd thought I'd help debian-publicity get started on an announcement. Please find my first draft inlined;

---

Debian announces Chinese Mirror

March 2nd, 2011

The Debian project is proud to announce the availability of a new primary mirror in mainland China. The new mirror, ftp.cn.debian.org, will significantly reduce network latency to the Debian software repositories and hopefully raise Debian's profile in China.

The Debian team worked with Aron Xu to set up the mirror in China. As Aron mentions this will "significantly reduce the lag time" when syncing with Debian's ftp-master. Previously it was common to have a lag time of about two days between a ftp-master and China. With the new primary mirror, the mirror team has been able to reduce that time to under 6 hours for push clients and under 12 hours for passive syncing mirrors.

A primary mirror site has good bandwidth, is available 24 hours a day, and has an easy to remember name of the form ftp.<country>.debian.org.
They are all automatically updated whenever there are updates to the Debian archive.

Hosting of the primary mirror in China is provided by the University of Science and Technology of China.

About University of Science and Technology of China

. . .

About Debian

The Debian Project was founded in 1993 by Ian Murdock to be a truly free community project. Since then the project has grown to be one of the largest and most influential open source projects. Thousands of volunteers from all over the world work together to create and maintain Debian software. Available in 70 languages, and supporting a huge range of computer types, Debian calls itself the universal operating system.

Contact Information

For further information, please visit the Debian web pages at http://www.debian.org/ or send mail to <press@debian.org>.

---

Regards,