Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 00:59:49 +0800
From: Aron Xu <happyaron.xu@gmail.com>
To: Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org>
Subject: Re: Debian mirrors in China

Hello Stefano,

I'm now reporting back to you about the result, and thank you ;-)

ftp.cn.debian.org has been set up eventually, pointing to
debian.ustc.edu.cn. We (the mirror admin, Simon, and I) coordinated to
make it a Push-Primary mirror for Debian archive, debian-backports and
debian-cd.

This would significantly reduce the lag time of keeping in sync of
mirrors in China with ftp-master. There was commonly ~48 hours lag,
now we are able to reduce the time to <6 hours for push clients, and
<12 hours for passive syncing mirrors. In the past, users consider the
two major mirrors (mirrors.{163,sohu}.com) are broken because they are
always out of date badly, now we are able to fix this (the sohu mirror
has already catch up the lags after a 2-hour rsync run with ftp.cn.d.o).

They were syncing from ftp/ftp2.de.d.o, ftp.se, ftp.us, ftp.au, because
if they used the geographical nearest mirror ftp.tw.d.o they won't be
able to finish a sync forever.

Next I'll try to help mirror admins in China to make their mirrors meet
our standard, and bring them to be in the official mirror list.

Thanks for your attention!

--
Regards,
Aron Xu