Re: [Re: Debian mirrors in China]

Hi,

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 10:10:34PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>   Aron Xu, Cc:-ed, has coordinated with DSA and the mirror team the set
> up of ftp.cn.debian.org, as before we were lacking such an official
> hostname in the ftp.*.debian.org namespace for China.

With my mirroradm hat, I was about to propose a line in the DPN, in order to
encourage Chinese users to use ftp.cn.debian.org, something like:

« The mirror team is please to announce the new ftp.cn.debian.org Debian mirror
in China, hosted by University of Science and Technology of China. We encourage
Chinese users to switch to that mirror, which is available in IPv6 too. »

> As you can read below, the lag of upates for Chinese users have been
> reduced significantly (from ~48 hours to ~6 hours) and he agrees that
> doing some communication around this might help in increasing Debian
> awareness in China.
>
> Do you think it would be appropriate to send out a press release about
> this? Although I've no strong opinion, I believe it would be nice to
> have it and it would be along the same lines of
> <http://www.debian.org/News/2011/20110302>. If we decide to go ahead,
> Aron has already volunteered to translate the text into Chinese
> (thanks!)

Thanks Aron, who helps interfacing with admins in China.

The machine at ufpr has been sponsored compared to the mirrors added during the
past years.

cvs diff -u -D "2 years ago" Mirrors.masterlist |grep -E '\+Site: ftp.*debian.org'
+Site: ftp.ua.debian.org
+Site: ftp.th.debian.org
+Site: ftp.by.debian.org
+Site: ftp.es.debian.org (false positive, mirror moved)
+Site: ftp.sk.debian.org
+Site: ftp.be.debian.org
+Site: ftp.si.debian.org
+Site: ftp2.de.debian.org
+Site: ftp.nc.debian.org
+Site: ftp.ba.debian.org
+Site: ftp.cl.debian.org (false positive, mirror moved)
+Site: ftp.lt.debian.org
+Site: ftp.cn.debian.org

--
Simon Paillard