Re: Call for Reviews: DebConf Newbies Announcement Draft

Meike Reichle wrote:
> I just committed a draft of the DebConf Newbies Initiative announcement to
> the SVN at
> svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/publicity/announcements/en/2011/2011-05-15-DebConfNewbies.wml

"svn: Authorization failed", so I'll attach it instead.

I'm not sure about this bit:
|                                                 As a special incentive
| an extra travel fund has been set up, which is only available to new or
| returning DebConf attendees.

The obvious interpretation of this is that we're "only" funding
first-timers and non-first-timers.  It goes on to explain that we mean
"new or returning-after-missing-at-least-three", but it needs a better
word for "returning".  Options include:
 * "recently absent attendees" (but what's an absent attendee?)
 * "non-regular attendees" (already used in the previous sentence)
 * "new attendees or recent non-attendees"?
 * something rephrasing it into "first-timers and absent friends"?
I've gone for "non-regular", which is repetitive but simple.

By the way, "locations as varied as Canada, Finland, Mexico, Scotland,
and Argentina" is good, but surely it should be "as varied as the
Americas, continental Eurasia, and central Edinburgh"? ;-)
--
JBR - and today's single word in West Greenlandic is:
Pissusissamisuurpalunniavissumik "Trying hard to appear natural"

<define-tag pagetitle>DebConf "Newbies"/Non-Regulars Funding Initiative</define-tag>

<define-tag release_date>2011-05-15</define-tag>
#use wml::debian::news

attendees to join the annual Debian Conference (DebConf). As a special incentive
an extra travel fund has been set up, which is only available to new or
non-regular DebConf attendees. Every Debian Developer or Maintainer who has never
been to a Debian Conference or who last attended in 2007 (Scotland) or before is
invited to participate.</p>

other deserving members of the Debian project can do so by sending a mail to
the DebConf Newbies Team &lt;newbies@debconf.org&gt; before June 18. Funding
will be given out on a first-come-first-served basis.</p>

traveling from and the amount you are unable to fund yourself. We also need to
know what dates you plan to arrive and leave on, as well as whether you have
already registered for DebConf.  (If you haven't registered yet, please do
so now via <a href="http://debconf11.debconf.org/register.xhtml";>the DebConf
registration system</a>.)

<h2>About DebConf</h2>

full schedule of technical, social, and policy talks, DebConf provides
an opportunity for developers, contributors, and other interested people
to meet in person and work together more closely. It has taken place
annually since 2000 in locations as varied as Canada, Finland, Mexico,
Scotland, and Argentina.</p>

and Herzegovina from Sunday 24 to Saturday 30 July, 2011.
DebConf will be preceded by DebCamp, from Sunday 17 to Saturday 23
July, 2011. DebCamp is a smaller, less formal event intended for group
work on Debian projects.</p>

href="http://debconf11.debconf.org/";>conference website</a>.</p>

<h2>About Debian</h2>

The Debian Project was founded in 1993 by Ian Murdock to be a truly
free community project. Since then the project has grown to be one of
the largest and most influential open source projects.  Thousands of
volunteers from all over the world work together to create and
maintain Debian software. Available in 70 languages, and
supporting a huge range of computer types, Debian calls itself the
<q>universal operating system</q>.

<h2>Contact Information</h2>

&lt;press@debian.org&gt;.</p>