Re: Supported languages (was: draft of the release announcement; please review)

[I am not subscribed to -publicity.]

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 04:55:18PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
>  Also beginning with Debian GNU/Linux 4.0, the package management system
> -was improved regarding security and efficiency.  Secure APT allows to
> -verify the integrity of packages downloaded from a mirror.  Changed
> +has been improved in its security and efficiency.  Secure APT allows
> +verifying the integrity of packages downloaded from a mirror.  Changed
>  package indexes won't be downloaded from mirrors entirely, but patched
>  with smaller files containing only differences from former versions.

My preference is for "allows verification of" rather than "allows
verifying".

I'm sure this won't fly, but, the correct plural form of "index" is
"indices".  Tons of ignorant native speakers make this mistake, though.

> If I could think of a neat antonym for "incrementally" I would use
> it to replace "entirely".

"Tout ensemble"...

I'd rewrite the final sentence as:

Updated package indices won't be downloaded in their entirety, but instead
patched with smaller files containing only differences from earlier versions.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You could wire up a dead rat to a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     DIMM socket and the PC BIOS memory