Re: About the (accursed) Penguin Logo.

Ean Schuessler <ean@novare.net> writes:

> We _should_ _not_ use the peguin logo. Please, please, please stop this
> madness now before we actually start spending real money on ads and stuff.

I agree completely.  I don't like the current logo, and though I
understand some of Bruce's reasoning at the time, I think that the
selection was too autocratic, and there are entirely too many
developers who don't really like it for it to be fair to continue
using it (this is an impression, not the result of a careful survey).
I do like the "funky D" a little better (though I think we can
probably do even better still).

On a more metaphysical level, who cares where it comes from?  Novare
can't *force* us to do anything, and it's not like Microsoft designed
it.  This isn't to say that we should definitely go with it, but a
more general principle that we shouldn't dismiss it out of hand just
because of the source.

> - The direct association of the Penguin with Debian is not the best
> branding as their is a definate sub-project to make Debian a
> presence on non-Linux platforms.

Yep.  I believe it's been stated before, but what does the penguin
have to do with the HURD?  It's quite possible that we'll have a HURD
project too eventually.  We need a symbol for *Debian*, not one for
Linux.  Linux will take care of itself.

FWIW: Every friend here I've shown our current icon to here hasn't
liked it much and couldn't figure out what a baby chicken had to do
with anything.  So it's not a few of us weirdo's who think it doesn't
look like a penguin.

All that said, this is not the most important issue in the world, but
just one I would like to see a better solution to.