Re: Fortunes-off - do we need this as a package for Bookworm?

On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 12:28:59PM -0600, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2022-11-20T11:41:56+0100, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> > I'm personally fine to defend the "less neutral" position we take by
> > dropping fortunes-off which is total garbage.

> I'll stop here.  That's 5 out of 5, none of which advocates the
> oppression of any group based on ethnic or ideologic categories.

So are you volunteering to adopt the package and do the work of fixing it up
to remove the garbage that our users SHOULDN'T be subjected to through our
archive?

This isn't Sodom and Gomorrah; the package shouldn't be spared from death
because you found 5 good fortunes in it.  This package is a fossilized
collection of fortunes that some random people on Usenet found funny or
otherwise worthy of inclusion over 25 years ago.  There are subcollections
of fortunes in this package that are explicitly *categorized* as racist,
homophobic, and misogynistic.

The package IS garbage.  I've looked at those files, the categorizations are
not incorrect, and there is no redeeming value in shipping such things in
Debian.

If someone wants to sift through the contents of fortunes-off to separate
the wheat from the chaff, fine, let them do it.  But the presence of some
good fortunes in the package doesn't compel anyone to keep it, nor does
rightly pointing out the garbage that's in it incur an obligation to do the
work to filter out only the stuff that conflicts with the project's
Diversity Statement.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/